Pomegranates are our new favourite fruit. Not only because we’ve designed a range of pomegranate jewellery (if you missed that, shop the pieces here), but because we've found out some great things about them.
You may be familiar with pomegranates on a surface level: their juicy seeds show up in salads and we've had a our fair share of grenadine based cocktails in our time.
But here's a few fun facts about the fruit you may not already know...
- The word pomegranate means 'apple with seeds' but it's actually part of the berry family.
- There are over 760 varieties, dating back to plants from 1000 BC.
- In Goychay, Azerbijan, a Pomegranate festival is held every October.
- Prominent in Ancient Greek mythology, the fruit was known as "the fruit of the dead" linked to the death of Adonis, the lover of Aphrodite.
- Pomegranate trees only fruit in hot climates, with India being the largest producer. Trees can live up to 200 years.
Read more to discover three of our at-home hacks that we’ve from various places on the internet.